Before and around Drupalcon Nashville there was a lot of discussion around improving the first time experience. Things we achieved for example is a new Drupal.org homepage with a clear focus on 3 different userstories.
One small work we have been doing can be seen in the following video:
Drupal quickstart from daniel wehner on Vimeo.
To summarize this video: It should be possible to start Drupal as quickly as possible:
- Download Drupal
- Execute a single command:
php core/scripts/drupal quick-start
- Have a working Drupal opened upon a web browser automatically.
Having such a command is a big step forward.
For me there is a lot of new possibilities opened up:
- The technical evaluator experience is potentially easier now
- Installation profiles could have an easier time
- We maybe adapt this command to make the first time contribution sprints orders of magnitude easier
To try it out you need to execute the following steps:
- curl -sS https://ftp.drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-x.y.z.zip --output drupal-x.y.z.zip - unzip drupal-x.y.z.zip - cd /path/to/drupal-x.y.z - php core/scripts/drupal quick-start
Please leave us feedback on Drupal.org / twitter / Slack.
PS: This was truely a team effort:
Chelsee Chi Mile23 Mixologic alexpott andypost borisson_ cashwilliams danquah dawehner droffats dsnopek geerlingguy gerzenstl heddn jonathanshaw kim.pepper larowlan maxstarkenburg mglaman mradcliffe pbirk phenaproxima quietone ressa scotty vaplas yoroy